I’m out of town this weekend, in middle-of-nowhere Mountain Home, Idaho visiting my new nephew. That’s why today’s Friday Five is short and sweet. Since I’m currently cleaning up my now complete WIP (can I still call it that?), I decided to focus on my writing ticks, namely, my five most prominently used and completely useless words/phrases/punctuations. Embarrassingly enough, I wiped out a few hundred from WIP’s count just by deleting no-impact ticks. Without further ado, here they are:
1) Wonder (as in: I wonder what I did to upset her. How about: What could I have done to upset her? )
2) Really (as in: I’m not really sure.)
3) The semi-colon – I still use it, but sparingly
4) I know (as in: I know tears are streaming down my cheeks.)
5) Just (as in: He stopped by just before noon.)
Thank God for Microsoft’s FIND function! So, I showed you mine… what are your writing ticks?