Paper Hangover is a fantastic group blog offering writing tips and advice, book reviews, weekly blog topics, and teen interviews. I recommend you spend some time exploring the site–they have so much to offer!
Here’s today’s Friday Five prompt:
1) Music. Particularly country music, because the songs are almost always little stories themselves.
2) Walking, biking, running, yard work… I get a lot of thinking, brainstorming, and plotting done while passing my exercise time.
3) Doing something creative with my hands, like quilting or appliqué or even coloring with my daughter.
4) Seemingly mind-numbingly boring activities like showering, driving, or vacuuming usually get my creativity flowing. Gotta keep my brain busy somehow!
5) Rereading something I’ve recently written and love, or rereading a favorite book with amazing plotting, imagery, or characterizations.
What about you? Where do you find your creative spark?
9 thoughts on “Friday Five: The Creative Spark”
We have similar lists again! Must be a mom thing. 🙂
I love your list, and cannot agree more! My biggest inspiration is #5 — reading books always inspire ideas for my own works.
I seriously think the shower has some kind of magical power! I come up with some of my best ideas in there, too.
Yes to #2: I love the run for inspiration. I haven’t tried #3, which makes me think it’s time for me to master a craft/creative art.
You know what they say about great minds… 🙂
And I can’t believe I forgot running. Or vacuuming. Or…or…or…
Great list! 🙂
Great choices. Mind-numbing tasks totally get the brain working for me too.
Driving is the number one big one for me. Something about the level of concentration required for it–it occupies the distracting part of my brain, while leaving the creative part of it utterly free to roam.
I also like just browing art sites like DeviantArt. You find some of the most unique and inspiring images when you look at other people’s work!
The only reason why I work out is it helps me to write. Normally when I’m writing (in my head) an action scene, my work out is WAY more productive.
I so wish I could get inspired by exercising. Instead I just get tired and sometimes bored 😦 And # 5 sounds awesome–might have to try that out.
Comments are closed.