What’s Up Wednesday

“What’s Up Wednesday” is a fun weekly meme started by my friends Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk. From Jaime: It’s similar in some respects to the Currently… post, but it’s been whittled down to only four headings to make it quicker and more manageable on a weekly basis. You’re invited to join us if you’re looking for something to blog about, a way to let your blog friends know what’s been going on with you. If you’re participating, make sure to link your What’s Up Wednesday posts to the list on Jaime’s blog each week. That way, others can visit your post and check out what you’ve been up to. And now, here’s what’s up with me this week…

What I’m Reading: I finished The Secret Sky: A Novel of Forbidden Love in Afghanistan by Atia Abawi. It’s a modern-day story about two teenagers of different Afghan ethnicities who fall in love. It wasn’t as romance-focused as I’d been expecting, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Pick it up if you’re looking for unique, multi-cultural YA. Now, I’m reading Ashes to Ashesthe final book in the under-hyped Burn for Burn trilogy by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian. This is one of my most anticipated 2014 books (this series — SO GOOD), and I cannot wait to see how it all wraps up!

What I’m Writing: I’ve gotten notes back from a few brilliant and thoughtful beta readers (seriously, thank you so much, Erin and Sara! <3) and now I’m working on incorporating their feedback into Where Poppies Bloom, as well as cleaning it up and prepping to send it to my agent. All the nerves…

What Else I’ve Been Up To: I’ve been beta reading a lot over the last couple of weeks, and I count myself so lucky to be able to read for such creative and talented writers. My own writing is benefiting, plus it’s tons of fun.

Saturday was my daughter’s first official cheerleading effort and she did amazingly well. I would not call her a natural dancer and she’s normally a little bashful, but she she went all out at the game and I was super proud of her! Though, this WSU alum *really* wishes her uniform wasn’t purple and gold. 🙂

I’ve been easing back into running after a long hiatus. It is SO hard to workout outdoors in Florida during the summer — for this Pacific Northwesterner, anyway. But, I miss running regularly. It’s my quiet meditation time, and it feels good to get out on the road again. Plus, new shoes!

What Works For Me: I’ve putting finishing touches on one manuscript and gearing up to heavily revise another, but to be honest, I’ve been a little lacking in motivation. So, I turned to Netflix for inspiration (and distraction) and found Tiger Eyes, the movie adaptation of Judy Blume’s classic YA novel. Guys, it was so good! My husband watched with me, and he couldn’t find anything to make fun of, which is saying a lot when it comes to “teen” movies. Definitely check it out if you’re looking for a creative boost, and let me know what you think!

Tell me… What’s up with you today?

Advertisements

36 thoughts on “What’s Up Wednesday

1. Erin Funk says:

I really enjoyed Tiger Eyes too, and so did my husband actually. Willa Holland did a great job in the title role. It’s been ages since I read the book, so I can’t remember how close the movie was, but it reminded me why I loved Judy Blume’s stories so much when I was a kid. I think it’s awesome they decided to make a movie of it all these years later.

Hope incorporating your beta feedback is going well! Don’t be too nervous, because I’m sure the finished product will be amazing!

• katyupperman says:

TIGER EYES is one of the few Judy Blume novels I haven’t read, actually. I almost didn’t watch the movie for that reason, but I’m glad I did because I think it was very well done. And thanks for your encouragement regarding my revision, Erin… You’re the best!

2. Miss Cole says:

Beta reading is like getting sneak previews of future releases 😀 And it is such a great way to improve your own writing.

Aw, your daughter looks adorable!

Best of luck with the running and the writing this week ^_^

3. Rachelwrites007 says:

I loved Tiger Eyes and can’t wait to get my hands on Ashes for Ashes 🙂 It’s hold for me at the library. I’m so glad you got such good beta notes and hope prepping to give to V goes smoothly! 🙂

• katyupperman says:

Me too, Rachel! I’m 100 pages into ASHES and it rocks so far. There’s this one couple that I don’t want to mention by name (spoilers!) but I love them and I’m totally rooting for them even though it’s not looking good. Yikes! Anyway. 😉 Have a wonderful week, lady!

• katyupperman says:

Yes, definitely check out Tiger Eyes, and tell me how you like it. I think it’s a great way to unwind for the weekend. 🙂 And thank you again for your invaluable feedback. ❤

• katyupperman says:

Ha, me too! It’s sort of rare, but I’m two for two (If I Stay and Tiger Eyes) lately, so yay! And I think we’re going to see The Maze Runner this weekend, so I might just make him a YA convert after all. 🙂

4. prerna pickett says:

I wanted to watch Tiger Eyes but was nervous because I loved the book so much. Will have to give it a try. New shoes are a great motivator for me when it comes to running, along with great music. Glad you got some great feedback on Poppies, good luck with submitting it your agent!

• katyupperman says:

TIGER EYES is one of the few Judy Blume books I haven’t read, so I had no idea what to expect going in, but I thought it was SO well done. You should watch it, Prerna! Then let me know how it compares to the book. 🙂 Have a great week, lady!

5. Carrie-Anne says:

I read a lot of Judy Blume as a preteen, though I don’t seem to remember Tiger Eyes.

Good luck on your revisions. I’m doing a lot of that myself, and continually amazed at how much desperately-needs-revision material I didn’t see as such during any of the numerous previous rounds. At least I’m realizing it needs revised and edited better late than never.

• katyupperman says:

I haven’t read TIGER EYES either, Carrie-Anne, but the movie was impressive. Judy Blume even has a tiny cameo, which I got all excited about. 🙂 Best of luck with your revisions and editing, and have a wonderful week!

6. mandiebaxter says:

Ugh. Tried to comment earlier and work PC blocked it! Haha.

Looks like a great week! Hope we can catch C in action one game.

Def going to look for that movie on Netflix!!!!!

And I’m game for a coffee date whenever!

• katyupperman says:

Ugh… I am so not a treadmill runner! I do like the elliptical, but if I’m actually running, I like to be outside. Except in FL in the summer. 🙂 Have an awesome week, Melanie!

7. Jennifer Pickrell says:

I just read TIGER EYES over the summer and I definitely need to check out the movie.

I took a walk/run this morning for the first time since the weather turned HUMID. Ugh, humidity. Glad you were able to get out. And new shoes! Bonus!

• katyupperman says:

That was me too, Tracey. I knew I wanted to watch it, but I haven’t been in the right mood. It was a prefect Sunday afternoon movie, though, so definitely watch it when you have a chance. Then let me know how you like it. Have a great week, lady!

8. Kim Graff says:

I haven’t read Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian’s series, but I’ve heard such good things. I’ll have to pick them up. (I like to wait for series to be over, that way I don’t have to way). Your daughter is adorable.

• katyupperman says:

Oh, read it, Kim. It’s SO GOOD. I bought the first book because it was $2.99 at Books-A-Million and the cover was pretty and now I’m so totally into the trilogy. I’m devouring the third book! Hope you have a great week!

9. wendybarronwrites says:

Your daughter looks adorable in those Huskies’ colours. *ducks, runs away*

I thought I had read everything by Judy Blume, but I’m realizing she had more books than I knew of as a kid.

• katyupperman says:

Huskies… Bleh! 😉

Judy Blume has always been a favorite of mine, but somehow I’ve never read Tiger Eyes. I might have to, now that I know how great the movie is. Her son directed it, so I’m assuming it stays pretty true to the novel. Anyway, let me know how you like it!

10. Jaime Morrow says:

Love the new shoes! That’s such a great colour combo. I need to start easing myself into some exercise again. I keep saying that, but my follow through kind of sucks lol. You know, I don’t think I’ve ever read TIGER EYES, but I did see the movie on Netflix and really enjoyed it. Makes me want to pick up a bunch of Judy Blume books and get reading them. But first (!) I need to get to BURN FOR BURN, which is sitting on my shelf staring at me. Your ringing endorsement certainly makes me want to get to it sooner too! Hope you have a great week and that motivation returns to us both very, very soon! 😀

• katyupperman says:

I hope you love BURN FOR BURN, Jaime! I’m excited to hear what you think of it, and the whole trilogy if you decide to read on. Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend!

Comments are closed.