It’s that time again. My birthday. As of today, I’m thirty-three.
I wish I was one of those people who approaches birthdays with grace and enthusiasm. I’m a whole year wiser — yay! But really, I sort of dread my birthday. I liked being twenty-six. Thirty-three sounds so… old. But, unfortunately aging is one of those inevitabilities we can’t control, and in the spirit of my 2014 word stoicism, I’m going to accept it and move forward with a positive attitude.
Which brings me to…
Ever since I started following Ghenet Myrthil‘s blog, I’ve been inspired by her Thirty Before 30 project. She’s created a list of things she wants to do before she turns thirty this summer, and it’s been so fun to follow along as she fulfills her goals. What better way to make birthdays brighter than establishing objectives and finding a sense of achievement in accomplishing them?
I love Ghenet’s Thirty Before 30 project so much, I’ve decided to jump on board. Obviously I’m beyond thirty (*sob*), and thirty-five isn’t far off. So, I’m giving myself two full years to check the items off my list. Thirty Before 35, if you will.
I’ve thought long and hard about what I want to include on my list, and I’ve decided to go big or go home. I realize that some of the items are almost entirely out of my control (#2 and #25 specifically), but they’re things I desperately want to happen. So, I’ll do everything in my power to get there, and if I don’t, well, at least I’ll know I tried. Conversely, some of the items I’ve included may seem silly or trivial, but they’re ambitions I’ve had in the back of my mind for a long while, and several of them are things I want to do with my husband and/or daughter. Therefore, on the list they’ve gone.
What I’ve ended up with is part to-do list, part bucket list. I’m excited about it!
- Bake a Rainbow Cake.
- Sell a novel (or two!).
- Complete a 500 piece puzzle.
- Have a picnic on the beach.
- Read and review a Stephen King novel.
- Drink a Hurricane in New Orleans.
- Have professional family photos taken.
- Run Disney’s Princess 1/2 Marathon.
- Attend a writers’ conference or festival.
- Order a Stitch Fix box.
- See a musical.
- Plan and host a tea party with my girl.
- Make a quilt.
- Take an international vacation.
- Watch Friday Night Lights in its entirety.
- Complete a three day juice cleanse.
- Write a manuscript that’s not contemporary YA.
- Pass 2K Twitter followers.
- Read Speak (my most shameful YA gap book).
- Host a brunch.
- Master “Space-A” travel.
- Attend a writers’ retreat.
- Get a massage.
- Make Chocolate Babka.
- Add another child to our family.
- Visit Mount Rushmore.
- Master “Crow” pose in yoga.
- Go to a(nother) country music concert.
- Plant an herb garden.
- Teach my daughter to swim (really well).
There they are. Thirty things I hope to accomplish before my thirty-fifth birthday. This list will be in a tab up there above my header, and (like Ghenet) I’ll cross items off (and most likely blog) as I accomplish them. Sounds fun, right?
Here’s to a happy birthday. I’ll be binge-watching Friday Night Lights and eating cake if you should need me.🙂