Ready. Set. WRITE! is a summer writing intensive that encourages goal-setting and accountability, and provides an opportunity for us to cheer each other on wherever we’re at in our writing—planning, drafting, revising, or polishing. This year, your RSW hosts are Alison Miller, Jaime Morrow, Erin Funk, and myself. Find the rest of the details HERE.
* How I did on last week’s goal(s).
1. Complete a revision of my contemporary-ish YA, Where Poppies Bloom… YES! I am d-o-n-e with the overhaul of my beloved Where Poppies Bloom. It’s now in the talented and capable hands of CP Alison, and I’m very much looking forward to her feedback.
2. Complete the first draft of my contemporary YA, The Road So Far, by the close of RSW… IN PROGRESS. It’s been a few weeks since I worked on this project, so I reread some of my favorite scenes and prepared to dive back in.
3. Read (on average) one YA/adult novel per week… YES! I read Barry Lyga’s I Hunt Killers. It’s a little bit Silence of the Lambs and a little bit Dexter written in a fantastic 3rd person teen perspective, and it is fAnTaStIc.
4. Read (on average) one MG novel with my daughter every two weeks… YES! We finished Sara Mylnowski’s Sink or Swim and we started The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.
5. Maintain my tan… YES! I mowed our enormous lawn. Kind of boring, but at least I got my vitamin D fix.
* My goal(s) for this week.
Write every day. My Where Poppies Bloom revision stressed me to the point of a breakout, and I need to not feel the I-should-be-working! pressure for a week or two in order to replenish my creative well. I’m not taking a break, but I am not going to kill myself in the name of word count, either. Plus, Zoo Camp’s done, so… Write every day — that’s my goal.
* A favorite line from my project OR a word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised.
Sometimes my personal obsessions find their way into my stories…
Tucker has a thing for Jelly Bellies, if the huge mixed bag he bought from a local sweet shop during our walk through Bell Cove is any indication. Now, we’re sitting on a weathered bench in the town center and he’s schooling me on flavor combinations, like a lemon eaten with a coconut, which taste just like lemon meringue pie, and I’m laughing because he’s weirdly fanatical about his jellies. He’s already picked out all the black licorice beans because they’re “foul” and he “refuses to subject” me to them.
“Try this one.” He passes me a crimson bean and then a white one with tiny black speckles. “Strawberry jam and French vanilla.”
I chew discerningly. “Um… strawberry shortcake?”
He grins like I’ve spouted an ingenious solution to the nation’s debt crisis.
* The biggest challenge I faced this week.
Burn out. In order to finish my Poppies revision, I had to work on it every spare second. I haven’t watched Gossip Girl in weeks! I still love my story, but I’m excited about setting it aside for a while. We need some time apart. 🙂
* Something I love about my WiP.
Ha! That it’s done! In celebration, a gratuitous mama/daughter pic…
In other news… July is the month of RSW giveaways!
Congrats to last week’s winner… Stephanie Scott!
During the four weeks of July, Erin, Jaime, Alison, and I will be giving away some spectacular Writer’s Care Packages. All you have to do to be eligible to win is participate in Ready. Set. Write! and enter via the Rafflecopter link below.
This week, Jaime’s giving away a fantastic package including a notebook (Joan of Arc quote FTW!), a Things To Do notepad, a pocket/purse notepad, Post-It notes, flags, tea scented erasers (mmm!), bunny-shaped paper clips (cute!), a multi-colored pen, Essie nail polish in “Watermelon” (totally summer appropriate, don’t you think?), pomegranate mint gum, and Swedish berries.
I can’t wait to read about how Ready. Set. Write! is going for you. Don’t forget to share the link of your latest post below!