Ready. Set. WRITE! is a summer writing intensive that encourages goal-setting and accountability, and provides an opportunity for us to cheer each other on wherever we’re at with our writing projects—planning, drafting, revising, or polishing. This year, your RSW hosts are Alison Miller, Jaime Morrow, Erin Funk, Elodie Nowodazkij, and myself.
And now… My first update for RSW 2015!
1. How I did on last week’s goals.
1. Draft at least 30K words in my new WiP. –> This week I wrote 6520 words.
2. Read 12 books. –> I finished Something Real by Heather Demetrios, which was so, so good. Highly recommend!
3. Get stronger. –> I practiced yoga 3 times this week, did a bunch of heavy lifting to prep for our move, and paddled a kayak (see below).
4. Explore. –> Yesterday we took our kayaks out for our last dip into the waters of the Gulf. Gorgeous as usual!
5. Cross at least two items off my Thirty Before 35 list. –> In progress. I’m working on #17 as I draft my WiP.
2. My goal(s) for this week.
Draft at least 2500 words. Finish reading a manuscript for one of my CPs. Practice yoga at least three times. Make it to Virginia with my sanity intact.
3. A favorite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised.
He’s built… nicely. Like one of those ancient Greek sculptures, all sinuous and powerful — except, you know, his junk’s not hanging out.
4. The biggest challenge I faced this week (ex. finding time to write).
Prioritizing. I’m on a roll with my WiP, but I’m also beta reading a most excellent manuscript, and I’ve been trying to get my house in order for our move (packers are here TODAY!). I want to do everything, all at once.
5. Something I love about my WiP.
The freedom of drafting. My characters are saying ridiculous things (and dropping f-bombs unimpeded), I’m going crazy with descriptions, and I’m playing with plot elements I’ve never explored before. It’s all going to be thoughtfully revised later, but for now I’m just having fun.
Are you participating in RSW?
Don’t forget to link to your first update below!
Happy writing, friends!